Thursday, August 26, 2010

Glue and Tears

As my creative writing teacher thinks, there is no writing for yourself. Sure, you may write to understand yourself, but if you've written it out, then that is a public piece. I'm sure we've all had those times where we're writing in our journal (or whatever you prefer to call it) and address people in the future. "If this is still around in fifty years..." "To my great-great-grandchildren..." So what is writing? Is it public, or private? I suppose that it's meant to be private sometimes, but will always be public. Unless of course we burn the paper. But after 120+ pages written in dedication, it's hard to part with one of those little books. I'd stare into the burning flames and see a little bit of me burning into nonexistence... of course, that's what my teacher says we need to let go of. Our writing is not us... but I'm perfectly happy to have it still feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment