Monday, December 13, 2010

What a Life!

_____In the early morning, I’d heard a hundred milk bottles shatter. The newspaper boy didn’t really have great aim.
_____“Stupid cat,” he grumbled, another cat hissing after him and his abysmal aim. If he was a soldier, he would have hit the entire ocean trying to hit Asia.
_____Finally I slumped down on the doorstep of a joint trailer house. Another tabby cat hissed after the boy on the bike crunching his way down the driveway. If I could have flicked my rubber bands after him, he’d be a dead man. Being a newspaper sucks though – we have no opposable thumbs.
_____I must have closed my ruffled paper for a bit, because when I woke up I was laying flat on a cool glass coffee table with a ceiling fan above me. Ahh, this was the life.
_____"I love you," was whispered across the room. Or was it? I couldn’t see; maybe it was just another cat rubbing against things and making weird noises. “I love you too?” I said quietly.
_____A little girl picked me up and stared at my belly. I could see the other side of the room now. People gathered around something with their heads down and their hands out. “No! No!” A woman with curly hair cried out and covered her mouth with one hand. All of the people around her started crying for some reason. It felt like ages until I was set down again, and people came in to take away what everyone was crowded around. The little girl tried not to stare at the man who was being covered up and wasn’t moving.
_____Whoa. Maybe this wasn’t the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment