Thursday, April 26, 2012

Perfect? To whom?...

          I had a huge burst of creativity after I talked to my teacher about the project that I wanted to attempt, and I was excited.  But I had other homework on that day, so I didn't get on here and write down all of my thoughts about it -- I came home and did my other homework.  Now, all I can feel is this invisible pressure.  Not here, luckily, but whenever I look at the words that I've tried to lay down for this project, it just feels like everything is closing in on them.  Like my computer screen is trying to squeeze them into nonexistence.  It frustrates me.  I'm up to throw a piece out in the writing circle tomorrow, and I have yet to find words that I can be happy with looking at myself.  All of the words that I feel are perfect don't fit what my project needs them to be. 
          It's so hard to destroy something that feels personal.  Letters and words aren't necessarily personal, but just that they can feel that way ruins me.  Things have to feel right, and look right, and if they don't, then nothing should, in order to put it in a different set of rules of disorder. 
          GAH.  I just... I don't even know.  I kinda hate this project.  Or I hate my words.  Or I hate that I have the whole of languages pressing down on me, because the question that keeps coming back to me is, "What is the most basic form of language?"  So I wrote a poem about how writing things down confines language so greatly.  And I believe that to be true -- but that's not my personal prompt. 
          I know that I have to send in one of the poems I've been "working on" (or rather, destroying) for workshop, but I don't want to have to explain what I want to accomplish with it all over again.  I'm even getting tired of trying to explain it to myself, so I can even begin to find what I need. 
          So, the question is this:
If I need to have five perfect poems, is it more important that they are perfect
to people who know what my prompt is, have no idea what the theme is,
or simply to myself?
          I'm automatically inclined to say "to myself", because that's what I'm most comfortable with.  I don't feel like I'll enjoy anyone else enjoying my work if... I don't enjoy it.  So I don't know.  I guess I'll just... do eeny-meeny-miny-mo and see how this turns out? 

No comments:

Post a Comment