Saturday, June 9, 2012

Good Music

        Since I got myself talking about music with bad writing, I'm countering it with good music.  In creative writing two this last school year, we had an assignment where we were supposed to find a song that we really liked.  Since it was a writing class, I looked through the free Mp3 downloads I've gotten (Spinner and Freegal are how I get all of my music) for songs I thought were well-written.
        I found that, for lyrics, I liked more indie type music, which didn't conform to the "Baby" Bieber expectation that all you need for good music is a pretty face, a rapper, and to speak the common language ("and I was like, 'baby, baby, baby, ohhh!'").
        So anyway, look up the lyrics if you would like.  For the stuff I liked most, it would be just as good if it was simply read.  The music makes me like it more in the same way that hearing my classmates read their work feels so much more authentic and right.
        The song I chose for my presentation was "Curs in the Weeds" by Horse Feathers.



It was tied with "Helplessness Blues" by Fleet Foxes (and basically every song by them), but that^ ended up being shorter -- everyone seemed so restless listening to music that they (I) didn't like that I figured correctly that shorter would be better.

Some other ones I liked were
"David" by Noah Gunderson
"Nightwatch" by Acrylics
And, more recently,
"Sweetness" by Pearl and the Beard
"Futuretown" by Jon Lindsay

I like music.

No comments:

Post a Comment