Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tongue

The taste of a burned tongue
in an open mouth.
There are five fires
in the daisy fields,
burning sweet sicknesses
into an air of smoke.
Kiss the ground and taste
your clay figures.
Lick the ground
and taste the metals
in the sticky dew
of the weeds.
The air is less
than _______.
The taste of a burned tongue
in an open mouth.

"The taste of a burned tongue
pressed into an open mouth,"
written on the silver tile
in water drops with wet fingers.
I used to write the names
of my crushes on the shower wall.
I used to sing school songs
in the shower.
This doesn't mean anything.
It's just a secret habit 
to create impermanent things.

The taste of a burned tongue
pressed into an open mouth.
My blood is boiling
in a familiar weight
of nickles and pennies
on my teeth.
I want that blood
that spills into other people.
Damn hormones.

I burned my tongue on some pasta a couple days ago.  It feels like the taste of blood (in the same way that Cherry Capri Suns tastes like the smell of cat litter).  And for some reason, I did write it on my shower wall, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. 

Also, the word "tongue" is disgusting.  Just like "flesh".

No comments:

Post a Comment